Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Digital Media Exit Cards: Twitter

Matt Levinson wrote an article, published on the Edutopia website, about the advancements of technology and social media and how such technological media can be used in  the classroom as interactive exit cards. This was a very interesting read to me because Levinson wrote about and confirms everything that I want to implement in my future classes.

Levinson gives the following points as examples of multiple media platforms and how to use each as a digital exit card -

  • A six-second Vine video to capture the most critical six seconds of class
  • A 16-second video to post to MixBit, YouTube's new video sharing tool
  • A tweet that boils down the essence of the class to 140 characters
  • A photo illustrating the key learning moment that can then be posted on a class Instagram account
  • A question posted to a class Edmodo account inviting a continuation of the learning outside of class

During one of my practicum, I used Twitter as a digital exit card. After reading the day's assigned scene from William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, I asked my students to use the hashtag #RomeoandJuliet2015 to tweet a thought, comment, likes, dislikes, or a reaction to the scene. This was such a fun activity that allowed my students to access social media platforms during class time responsibly. I have met many teachers who claim that use of cell phones in class is a problem, and I tend to disagree. Proper use of cell phones, or tablets, in class, can be fun, educational, and beneficial. Technology in the classroom is just a part of creating the 21-century classroom and it is the teacher's responsibility to guide students' use of such technology.

Link to Matt Levinson's official Edutopia article: Hit the Mark With Digital Media Exit Cards

No comments:

Post a Comment