Monday, March 28, 2016

Student Success Center

Retrieved from: Student Success Center

As a LEAD candidate, I work with students who need credit recovery or one-on-one help. There are many times students come into the student success room for help with a test and are provided with one-on-one assistants with they write their test. As a teacher candidate I am required to sit next to the student who is writing the test and be available to answer any questions they may have regarding a question on the test. Many times, it is obvious the student is clueless about the topics covered on the test so I find myself walking them through the test question-by-question. I feel as if I am writing the test for them, therefore, I do not think it is fair a representative of their actual knowledge and understanding of the material.

I believe students should be given the opportunity to receive one-on-one assistants if it means they will actually understand the material being taught to them.  Rather than, sending students to the Student Success Center just to receive assistants on their summative assessment (i.e. when it's too late), students should be sent to the Student Success Center in the aim to help them acquire the knowledge they need in order to be successful in their courses.


No comments:

Post a Comment