Sunday, March 27, 2016

Positive Postcards - Filling Two Needs with One Deed

From http://theteachingnut.blogspot.ca

According to Greenfeld, Sheldon, Epstein, Hutchins, & Thomas (2012), effective classroom management practices are crucial to ensure student success for all.  Thus, for a well-managed classroom to be established, teachers have a responsibility to provide an environment that encourages and motivates students.  Similarly, since parents have also been found to influence student behavior both in and out of the school environment (Greenfeld et al., 2012), it is vital for the home environment to be supportive as well.  Knowing that parents and teachers are both great determinants of student success, it would make sense that they work in collaboration in order to achieve this common goal.  Thus, building a positive relationship with each other is key.  But how can this be accomplished?  Through positive postcards!

Positive postcards are one of the most powerful methods used by effective teachers to build a positive connection with parents.  They not only show that you as an educator care deeply about your students but also involves the parents in their child's education. When parents receive a note from a teacher, which recognizes their child's accomplishments, improvements, positive behaviors and good deeds, it creates a big impact in terms of a parents perception of the teacher.  This in turn makes the relationship between teachers and parents stronger and creates a sense of shared responsibility.  This consistency in support is most likely to motivate and positively influence students in making good choices through accountability.

Since I am a student teacher, I have not yet had the opportunity to use positive postcards.  However, I do plan on using them regularly when I have my own classroom.  I truly believe that creating a positive classroom culture is a significant part of my responsibilities as a teacher, and that this goal can be limitless with parental support.  And what best way to create a strong relationship with parents?!

I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.  Would you use positive postcards in your classroom?


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your post, Josee! I think I would implement the "Positive Postcards" in my classroom but that depends on how receptive the students/parents are to them. Considering we may end up teaching high school students, I don't know if they would appreciate the Positive Postcards as much as younger students.

    ReplyDelete